Colorful cramped Old Delhi

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Op Ed NY Times by Garfield on positive reviews


From Jalglish aka ex- Expat Nov. 30 2013
[attempted contribution to discussion of op ed by Garfield Nov. 29, on the merits of the "positive" review... alas I was too late, goddammit!]
As a lifelong part-time professional book reviewer and editor, I could bore you with volumes on the topic, but I’ll say this (hopefully briefly).
This topic is actually about censorship but no one has mentioned that ugly word... so I'll break the ice.
Ordering some kind of outcome for book reviews is equivalent to censorship and should always, by any self-respecting reviewer, be refused. Similarly, authors should never pick their reviewer. It may seem reasonable at first to reject the negative review on the basis of the statistical likelihood of “many good books” out there going unreviewed, but in fact reviewers aren’t statisticians and can only judge one book at a time. Suppose I read one poor book -- whose full failure isn’t apparent until the last chapter -- and at the end have to throw it on the pile of discards. What a lot of wasted effort added to the already gruesome amount of work involved in reviewing well and conscientiously! It’s a dishonest and exploitative editorial policy (and really makes me glad to I don’t use “Good Reads” or “Buzzfeed”).
At the same time, as a writer who wants to get published, my fate is tied to the title I review. Deep in the heart of the most conscientious reviewer – such as that of the character in ‘The Figure in the Carpet”—is an invisible conflict of interest between the critic’s desire for attention and his intellectual honesty. To resolve this, (if I can pick my book) I’ve always leaned toward authors I genuinely admire, but if assigned a title I must have total autonomy.
If these conditions aren’t met, you are either living in a tyrannical principality or similar country that – while professing a liberal press – actually doesn’t understand it in the least, especially the “critical” part. Alas the situation is all too common!
I usually sent back to contributors reviews that were shallow or too positive, with the comment, “Where’s the criticism?”

No comments: